Thursday, February 10, 2011

Syllabus


The Syllabi that I handed out in the past were so boring. This year I wanted to try something more exciting, so I used ideas for my syllabus inspired by a handout by Julia Church Hoffman. She makes wonderfully engaging papers for her classes to read and because they have pictures, they are more eye-catching and more likely to be read by the students (and parents as well). For the first class, we colored the syllabus that I created. Children’s book illustrator, Chie Yasuda, created artwork for my syllabus that is both accurate (in terms of playing position and number of strings on the guitar) and friendly. As we colored the syllabus, we talked about whether or not the student in the picture was right handed or left handed and what the important information is on the syllabus as well as answered questions that came up spontaneously.



No comments:

Post a Comment